Counties Served: Mercer, Burlington, Ocean and Monmouth
Director: Rev. John C. Garrett
Administration Office: Diocese of Trenton, 701 Lawrenceville Rd., Trenton, NJ 08638
Contact information: Tel. 609-896-0394 | email@example.com
The Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD)
is an instrument of the Catholic Church working to carry out the mission of Jesus Christ,
“…to bring good news to the poor…release to captives...sight to the blind,
And let the oppressed go free.” (Luke 4:18)
The Catholic Campaign for Human Development is the domestic anti-poverty program of the United States Catholic Bishops and works to break the cycle of poverty by helping low-income people participate in decisions that affect their lives, families and communities. CCHD offers a hand up, not a hand out.
It has a complementary mission of educating on poverty and its causes. This dual pastoral strategy of education for justice and helping people who are poor speak and act for themselves reflects the mandate of the Scriptures and the principles of Catholic Social Teaching.
CCHD also provides the Catholic faithful with concrete opportunities to live out the love of God and neighbor in ways that express our baptismal call and continuing Eucharistic transformation.
The Catholic Campaign for Human Development is made possible by the generous support of Catholics in the United States, especially through an annual parish collection. CCHD’s grants to local anti-poverty efforts are screened, awarded and monitored in close partnership with local Catholic dioceses. CCHD grants to groups in a local community require the explicit approval of the bishop of that diocese.
CCHD Grant Application Process
CCHD IS a Catholic Social Service office within the Diocese of Trenton that offers a yearly grant.
The grant monies are received from the collection that is taken by each parish within the Diocese of Trenton the weekend before Thanksgiving (75% of monies collected by CCHD – DT is sent to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops national office of CCHD and 25% is retained by the Diocese of Trenton and awarded in grants).
HOW TO APPLY FOR A CCHD GRANT
Each year 3-5 grants are awarded in the amounts of $2,000-$10,000 each. A grant can be received for two consecutive years. If a grant is awarded for two consecutive years, one year must pass before another grant application is submitted.
The three major criteria the Diocese of Trenton uses in evaluating CCHD grant applications are:
- Priority will be given to new initiatives taken by agencies or parishes that enhance or provide for a foundation of self-sufficiency.
- The agency or parish outreach program will have a mission of providing social services with a focus on basic human needs (food, clothing, shelter, jobs etc.).
- Applications will only be accepted from Catholic agencies (Catholic agencies recognized as such by the National Catholic Directory) and Parish Social Service Outreach Programs in the Diocese of Trenton.
- Grants will not be given to fund salaries, building upgrades, operating deficits, research projects, or cost of fund-raising.
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- A site visit to potential grant recipient may be necessary.
- An end of the year report is due by grant recipient.
- Grant monies must be used within a year of receiving the grant. At this time a determination will be made re: grant funds that have not been spent.
- Grant recipient must be willing to publicize how the grant was used by the Diocese of Trenton.
Review for Grants:
Applications will be due on October 3, 2016. Application forms are attached. Grants will be reviewed and awarded by the Diocesan Director for CCHD-DT, Rev. John .C. Garrett. This process will be done in conjunction with the Executive Director of Catholic Social Services for the Diocese of Trenton, Sr. Joanne Dress, D.C.
Rev. John C. Garrett, Diocesan Director
Catholic Campaign for Human Development
701 Lawrenceville Road, Trenton, NJ 08638-0147